Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Body Recovered in Debris in Annahuac 09/24/08:
Body Recovered in Hurricane Ike Debris in AnahuacReported by: Scott PriceWednesday, Sep 24, 2008 @01:50pm CST
Chambers County authorities have recovered a body in the debris fields left by Hurricane Ike. Tuesday afternoon, members of the US Fish and Wildlife Department discovered the body of a white female, located in a debris field east of FM 562, between Lone Oak Bayou and Lake Surprise. The victim, clad only in a bra, is described as a white female in her late 40’s to early 50’s, 5’6”, medium build, with short brown hair and blonde to grey hi-lites. Preliminary autopsy results from the Jefferson County Medical Examiner’s Office showed that the female showed signs of dental work, including fillings and caps. She also had a scar from a hysterectomy. It appears that the cause of death was due to drowning, as there were no broken bones or head trauma. Friday, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department game wardens marked 44 major debris piles, and game wardens, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service refuge officers and Sheriff’s Deputies accompanied handlers from the all-volunteer Greater Houston Search Dogs and K-9 units from the Port Arthur Police Department began ground searches. “At this time it is very difficult to know just how many people really are missing from the Bolivar Peninsula after the storm, or if there are remains in these debris fields, but if there are, then we want to make sure we find them,” said Chambers County Sheriff Joe LaRive. “We do know that much of what was at Gilchrist and Crystal Beach before the storm is now five or six miles inland in Chambers County.” Sheriff LaRive also reported that there was one storm-related fatality in Chambers County in the days before the storm. Anahuac resident, 52 year old Gary Schweinle was electrocuted on September 12, 2008 as he attempted to secure his roof before Hurricane Ike struck. LaRive said the search will continue until all of the marked debris fields have been searched with the aid of the dogs, a process he said could ultimately take weeks

No comments: