Sunday, September 21, 2008

More of Your Emails

rebuildbolivar@gmail.com 9-20-2008
On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Maggie Finch wrote:
Barbara,

I wanted to let you know that I am working on a website to help with the rebuild initiative. I've pasted some info about it below. Just a little background... I live in Ft. Worth, but grew up near the Gulf Coast. My parents have a beach house in Crystal Beach. It was to become their full-time residence in a few years. They've been splitting their time between their primary residence in Kirbyville and their place at the beach. I spent many weekends and summers there while growing up and it saddens and infuriates me to think that the place may be just wiped off the map. My parents are still without electricity in Kirbyville, so I've been helping to keep them informed as best I can. I just feel so powerless to help from so far away. I decided to jump in to do whatever I can from here and as a result, this site was born. I found the Rollover Pass website this morning. I've added a link to it on my site. Please take a look at the site and feel free to provide any feedback or info that you have. Thanks,Maggie Finch
www.rebuildbolivar.com
My plan is to include:- Form letters for individuals to contact State Reps, Congressmen, Senators, and local government officials to urge them to support rebuilding. This will include letters for property owners, full-time residents, individuals employed on the peninsula, local and state employees (ferry workers, postal workers, city workers, etc.), vacationers, etc.- Info on rebuilding initiatives including meeting notices and postings on what you can do to get involved- An area to make a donation or become a sponsor for the rebuild effort- Supporting info and resources on other communities who were affected by natural disasters and allowed to (even given state/federal assistance to) rebuild.- An overview of the financial impact to the residents, local economy, county, and state I'm sure there will be much more to come. I realize that I can't populate and maintain all of this by myself, so I'm also going to draft an list of initial tasks to be completed and ask for volunteers. Please send me any thoughts, comments, info that you have.

gca.webmaster@gmail.com 9-22-2008
Maggie,
Of course you wouldn't know this, but I am Connie Tomerlin with the Gilchrist Community Association. Barbara Reynolds is my mother and she is the Secretary of the GCA. I have always been in charge of the website and when Ike hit, I decided to try to reconnect our community with information, survivor's list and a blog of emails and survivor stories.

I LOVE your website and I am going to post it to our blog. I am also going to add it as a link to our website on the main page (for our older, computer-challenged neighbors!) Several people have contacted us about a fundraiser and ways in which we can raise money, clothing and survival items for all of the victims on Bolivar Peninsula. We can achieve so much with the help of everyone! Thanks so much for the info and please keep in touch!

Connie Tomerlin
GCA Webmaster
"Working Together For A Better Bolivar"



amandaselcer@yahoo.com 9-20-2008
My house was on 993 Butterfield. It is gone, but I am worried about all the friends and neighbors we met over the last year. What needs to be done to help? I have started asking friends and family to gather old clothes and personal items the survivors from our area might need. Is there somone I can get in touch with to help organize or help our friends and neighbors get their lives back? Amanda Selcer

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Amanda Selcer wrote:
our house was in Gilchrist. It was right across the street from pastor Roots. It was the second house on the right with the new blue siding and windows.
We were there every weekend working on her and getting her ready for us live there full time.
We are the couple with the blue FJ cruiser and the big black dog.
If you hear from Pastor LC Roots or his wife Sande, please tell them we are thinking of them and praying for them and would like for them to call.

Amanda and Toby

amanda 979 224 4088
toby 979 450 1810
house 281 225 7730

No comments: